My absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the sweet potato delight (as my aunt calls it). I don’t know if it was the rainy weather last week or just the simple fact that Thanksgiving is only 2 months away (yes ONLY 2 months away), but I’ve been craaaaving that sweet potato delight! Last year my Aunt Shell made a “Paleo” version of her sweet potato delight and I loved it. I wanted to find a recipe similar to hers, and I did. I decided to make a Paleo Thanksgiving dinner last night and it turned out really well!
I changed things up and made the turkey in the crock pot. A coworker makes her Thanksgiving turkey in the crock pot every year and always raves about it. All you do is buy turkey breast instead of the entire bird, which is better for 2 people anyway. I also made some steamed green beans alongside the turkey and sweet potato delight. It was all so good!
I followed the turkey recipe to a T. My husband and I both loved this recipe and it was super simple to put together. It’s going into our rotation for sure!
Crock Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
1 (4-6 lb) boneless turkey breast
1 (1 oz) packet dry onion soup mix
¾ cup water
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1. Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray and place turkey and diced onions inside. In a small bowl, mix together the water and onion soup mix and spread evenly over turkey.
2. In another small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the turkey breast.
3. Cook on low for 7-8 hours (or until turkey is very tender and the seasonings have flavored the meat). Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast and make sure it reads at least 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) to ensure that your turkey is fully-cooked.
4. To eat, remove turkey from slow cooker and slice. Spoon liquid over turkey meat for added flavor.
All I did to the green beans was steam and add salt and pepper. We also spooned on a little of the turkey sauce from the crock pot and that was a winner!
I modified the Paleo sweet potato recipe a bit. Here is my version! Okay okay fine, I wasn’t going to tell you all but I just can’t lie! I added about 1/4 cup brown sugar to the top of the casserole right before I put it in the oven. My husband pressured me, okay! Ugh…but it was really darn good and I honestly think it made a difference in taste. You can opt to keep it totally Paleo or add the brown sugar and I think either way it will be great.
Sweet Potato Delight
Makes a ton (i.e., 12 servings-ish)
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- juice of half an orange
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (OPTIONAL)