OMG, these skillet apple biscuits are soooo heavenly! Seriously. I made them for dessert but I’m going to justify eating them for breakfast because they have apples in them…don’t judge.
I was craving something sweet and felt like cooking. As most of you know, I try, really try, to eat and cook healthy. However, sometimes you have to indulge, and I’ve told you all this before. This recipe uses apples okay, so it’s not TOTALLLLLLYYY bad right? Right! Let’s go with that.
I’ve never baked anything in a cast iron skillet, so I was excited to try this. It’s so easy, too. I used canned biscuits but you can make your own if you’re an overachiever 🙂. The icing drizzled on top really sets this over the edge, and it’s only heavy cream and powdered sugar! Mmmmmm! They’re similar to cinnamon rolls (with apples) but way easier, and just as good!
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and large diced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (plus 1/4 cup for glaze)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar + 2 Tbsp reserved
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 large buttermilk biscuits (I used canned but buy the non-flaky ones)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a large cast iron skillet with butter, set aside.
- Put diced apples into a medium sauce pan and drizzle with lemon juice, stirring to coat. Add in 3 Tbsp butter and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt. Add this to apples and stir to coat. Heat mixture over medium low heat until apples soften and a thick sauce is created, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place biscuits in pan, completely covering bottom and overlapping slightly, if need be (mine didn’t need to overlap, they fit perfectly).
- Pour apple mixture evenly on top of biscuits and sprinkle with reserved 2 Tbsp pf light brown sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
- Mix powdered sugar and 1/4 cup heavy cream in a small bowl until smooth and drizzle on top of biscuits.
- Serve warm.